You Don't Know Everything, Jilly P! (Scholastic Gold) (Paperback)
Alex Gino, the Lambda Literary Award-winning author of Melissa, is back with another sensitive tale based on increasingly relevant social justice issues.
Jilly thinks she's figured out how life works. But when her sister, Emma, is born deaf, she realizes how much she still has to learn. The world is going to treat Jilly, who is white and hearing, differently from Emma, just as it will treat them both differently from their Black cousins.
A big fantasy reader, Jilly makes a connection online with another fantasy fan, Derek, who is a Deaf, Black ASL user. She goes to Derek for help with Emma but doesn't always know the best way or time to ask for it.
As she and Derek meet in person, have some really fun conversations, and become friends, Jilly makes some mistakes . . . but comes to understand that it's up to her, not Derek to figure out how to do better next time -- especially when she wants to be there for Derek the most.
Within a world where kids like Derek and Emma aren't assured the same freedom or safety as kids like Jilly, Jilly is starting to learn all the things she doesn't know--and by doing that, she's also working to discover how to support her family and her friends.
With You Don't Know Everything, Jilly P!, award-winning author Alex Gino uses their trademark humor, heart, and humanity to show readers how being open to difference can make you a better person, and how being open to change can make you change in the best possible ways.
About the Author
Alex Gino loves glitter, ice cream, gardening, awe-ful puns, and stories that reflect the diversity and complexity of being alive. Their first novel, Melissa, was a winner of the Children’s Stonewall Award, the Lambda Literary Award, and the Children’s Choice Book Award. For more about Alex, please visit them at alexgino.com.
Praise for You Don't Know Everything, Jilly P!:
* "Gino's sophomore effort is every bit as affecting and important as their first novel." -- School Library Journal, starred review
* "[You Don't Know Everything, Jilly P!'s] thoughtful handling of characters and dynamics offers fodder for further discussion about privilege in all its forms." -- Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "A necessary and rewarding addition to any middle-grade collection." -- Kirkus Reviews, starred review
Praise for Melissa:
Winner of the Children's Stonewall Award
Winner of the Lambda Literary Award
A Children's Choice Book Awards Debut Author
* "Profound, moving, and -- as Charlotte would say -- radiant, this book will stay with anyone lucky enough to find it." -- Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "Warm, funny, and inspiring." -- Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "There is pain... but not without the promise of a better tomorrow." -- School Library Journal, starred review
* "An appealing, thoroughly believable character and her best friend Kelly adds humor and zest." -- Booklist, starred review